[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] authority control vendors

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Mon Sep 24 11:48:42 EDT 2012

Quoting Julie Lespinasse <jdlespinasse at yahoo.com>:

> We're getting ready to move to Evergreen, but are currently using
> another ILS.  We were wondering what authority control vendors
> people are using, and if you're satisfied with them.  We've been
> using LTI, but they recently stated that we might not be that happy
> using them with "open source"  (their quotes, not mine).  So I'm
> wondering if we'd have problems getting our authority files to come
> over, and once we do come over, if we'd have problems updating them.

We migrated our authority records from our legacy ILS. Granted, they
were pretty bad to begin with. There are some scripts for importing
authorities during a migration or in batches. You'd want to export
them to a MARC file, similar to what you'd do with your bibliographic
records.

There's another script in the support scripts and recent versions of
Evergreen install it into the main binary path on the server,
authority_control_fields.pl. This can be used to link your bib records
with authorities.

I believe Berklee in Boston would like to see some improvements to
this program or have a new one that works with authority control sets
as setup in the client. That sounds like a good idea to me, but
authority_control_fields.pl worked well for us. I've also blogged
about running it in batches:

http://blog.mvlcstaff.org/2012/09/howto-batch-authority-control.html

If you don't understand all of the steps, just point your server
administrator or your hosting provider at that blog and they should be
able to do it.

> Has anyone completely given up on authority control?
>
> If not, please tell me what vendor you use and if you're satisfied with them.

We use Backstage Library Works, and they have been very helpful. We
changed some of the procedures that we use with them after our
migration to Evergreen, and I think it is smoother now than it was on
our proprietary ILS.

We send batches of new records to their FTP server on a quarterly
basis. We get updates from their FTP server, also on a quarterly
basis. I wrote this software to automate the process on our end as
much as possible:

http://git.mvlcstaff.org/?p=jason/backstage.git;a=summary

The software will get some new code in October, once I've tested the
changes, to also run authority_control_fields.pl whenever authorities
are imported or updated.

I have informed Backstage of the software and suggested that they
recommend it to their Evergreen customers. I don't know if their
support staff can really answer questions about it, but you could
always ask on the list or in IRC. If I'm around I'll answer any
questions.

I know that is probably more information than you wanted, but I wanted
to point out that "open source" is not a problem when it comes to
authority control, and that there is a solution out there. (Plus a
little shameless self promotion never hurts.)

HtH,
Jason

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services