[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Limits on numbers of attached items?

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Tue Sep 25 13:55:47 EDT 2012

Quoting Tony Bandy <tonyb at ohionet.org>:

> Hi all,
>
> Working with our consortium, specifically related to setting policies, etc.
> does anyone know of the limit of attached items on bibliographic records?
>  My notes indicate 2,000, but tracking down where that came from is proving
> elusive....anyone know of the limits?

The only limit that I am aware of is the size of a MARC record is
limited to 99,999 bytes. If you export a MARC record with holdings in
the 852 or other tag, depending on the amount of data in the other
fields, you can quickly run out of room for holdings.

There may be other, system-dependent limitations on how many copies
you can reasonably attach to a bib, such as the time it takes to
retrieve all the data and return to the client, the amount of RAM on
the client and the efficiency or inefficiency of trying to display
2000 copies, etc. These, however, will vary depending on the hardware
of the servers, the quality of the network connection, the hardware on
the client, even the client O/S can make a difference.

> Thanks in advance for your thoughts....
>
> Tony

> Tony Bandy
> tonyb at ohionet.org
> OHIONET
> 1500 West Lane Ave.
> Columbus, OH  43221-3975
> 1-800-686-8975 x19

Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium
Chief Bug Wrangler, Evergreen ILS