[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Limits on numbers of attached items?

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Tue Sep 25 17:42:27 EDT 2012

FWIW,

During the migration of one of our systems to Evergreen, we had about 7-10 records that hit this limit (out of about 120K records exported from that particular branch). All special series titles with thousands of attached barcoded items. The ILS exported the MARC records ok, but truncated data in our 9xx holdings tags after hitting the 99,999 limit on those records.

George

George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan

-----Original Message-----
From: open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Jason Stephenson
Sent: September 25, 2012 13:56
To: open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Limits on numbers of attached items?

Quoting Tony Bandy <tonyb at ohionet.org>:

> Hi all,
>
> Working with our consortium, specifically related to setting policies, etc.
> does anyone know of the limit of attached items on bibliographic records?
>  My notes indicate 2,000, but tracking down where that came from is
> proving elusive....anyone know of the limits?

The only limit that I am aware of is the size of a MARC record is limited to 99,999 bytes. If you export a MARC record with holdings in the 852 or other tag, depending on the amount of data in the other fields, you can quickly run out of room for holdings.

There may be other, system-dependent limitations on how many copies you can reasonably attach to a bib, such as the time it takes to retrieve all the data and return to the client, the amount of RAM on the client and the efficiency or inefficiency of trying to display 2000 copies, etc. These, however, will vary depending on the hardware of the servers, the quality of the network connection, the hardware on the client, even the client O/S can make a difference.

> Thanks in advance for your thoughts....
>
> Tony

> Tony Bandy
> tonyb at ohionet.org
> OHIONET
> 1500 West Lane Ave.
> Columbus, OH  43221-3975
> 1-800-686-8975 x19

Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services Merrimack Valley Library Consortium Chief Bug Wrangler, Evergreen ILS