[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] egcon2013: see you soon!

Tara Robertson information.detective at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 16:18:57 EDT 2013

This message also went out to registered participants. Sorry for the
duplication, but thought some people who aren't registered for the
conference might be interested in some of this...

We're excited to see you in Vancouver next week!

Here's some last minute details:

*Getting from the airport to the hotel*
We've updated the website to include local travel info:
http://eg2013.evergreen-ils.org/travel-info/

The easiest way into town is the Canada Line, it's quick (30 minutes) and
cheap ($7.75-$8.75 depending on the time of day).

Frugal tip: Read more about buying a book of 10 fare saver tickets on Trip
Advisor:
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154943-i81-k5349241-From_YVR_to_hotel_using_Fare_Saver_tickets-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html

Also: the airport is beautiful.

*No host lunches*
On Thursday we've picked a bunch of places to go for lunch and have local
volunteers to lead groups. If you are the type of person who likes to plan
ahead, take a look at the Google
Map<https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=205843340970493524103.0004d99f175b65aea289a&msa=0&ll=49.284548,-123.107128&spn=0.046526,0.111494&iwloc=0004d99f5a94e0742b691>(which
is also on the website now).

Urban Spoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/c/14/Vancouver-restaurants.html -
filter to Downtown and/or Gastown neighbourhoods), and Yelp (
http://www.yelp.ca/vancouver) are good places to check for reviews for
places to eat and drink. Fans of microbrew should definately check out The
Alibi Room <http://www.alibi.ca/>.

*International visitors *
Both the venue and hotel have free wifi, so I'd recommend turning off your
data and not using your phone.

If you are from outside Canada and planning on using your phone, I'd highly
recommend researching data, texting and phone options. It can be
surprisingly expensive.

*egcon2013 live*
On Thursday we'll be adding our live coverage page to the website. The
technical track will be streamed live (thank you Emerald Data Networks) and
we hope to add the recorded video from the Main track a few weeks after the
conference ends. We'll also be pulling in the Twitter feed with tweets
tagged the conference hashtag "egcon2013". Also, we have an awesome group
of library school volunteers who will be doing live note taking during both
tracks.

We'll be sending out information to the main open-ils Evergreen list when
this page is live.

*Twitter*
Shirley and I will be on the @egcon2013 Twitter account, so let us know if
you have any questions about Vancouver let us know.

Safe travels!
Tara