[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Link to login to catalog then redirect to another site

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Fri Dec 6 09:43:10 EST 2013

On 12/06/2013 08:50 AM, Bill Erickson wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> The TPAC login page supports a redirect_to URL parameter like so:
>
> https://bill-dev2.esilibrary.com/eg/opac/login?redirect_to=http://evergreen-ils.org
>
> On successful login, the browser will redirect the user to the
> redirect_to URL.  Beware, though, the TPAC will modify the redirect_to
> URL to use SSL (https://), regardless of the protocol used in the
> parameter.  This may not be what you intend.

Also be aware that the cookie that gets set to indicate the user is
logged in will not be available to a domain other than that of your
catalog. So, if your library website and catalog do not share the same
domain name, you'd have no good way of checking that the user had
actually logged in when they get to the redirected URL. No, HTTP_REFERER
[sic] is not a good way to tell.

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services