[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Proposal to change Evergreen versioning scheme

Joe knuevejo at oplin.org
Fri Jan 4 16:15:50 EST 2013

I wasn't planning on jumping into this conversation, but as someone who
is not truly a tech professional, but has been thrust into the role over
the last few years, I think the one important point to make about
Evergreen versus Linux or SQL is that what version I'm running seems to
matter much more for whether the system responds the way you expect it
to in Evergreen than in those programs.

For instance, in my library I have at least 6 instances of linux
running, and at least 4 of them are running MySQL.  I can't possibly
tell you what version of the linux kernel any of them are running, or
what version of MySQL.  In fact, I'd be luckly to accurately remember
which version of Debian or Ubuntu they have. It's probable that they are
running at least three versions of MySQL and 4 or 5 versions of the
linux kernel.  That said, when I go to access the desktop (on those with
a gui) they all respond more or less the same and when I go into the
command line, all of the commands that I can remember off hand work the
same in all of them.

Meanwhile, I would suspect that I would notice the difference between
Evergreen 1.6 and 2.3.  My staff have noticed the difference between 2.1
and 2.3 in the minor changes in the things the staff interface does, not
even mentioning jspac versus tpac...

The thing is the way we interact with Evergreen, and how changes impact
us, matters more to library staff than changes in the linux kernal
matter to ordinary linux users.

I suppose I don't have a strong opinion either way, however, if it were
my decision, I prefer release numbering that maintains some short-hand
of how large of a jump the change is, not necessarily just incorporating
new versions of it's dependencies.  After all, will the new version
appear to be the same to the front line staff users or will it be
radically different?

Just my two cents worth.

Have a good day.

Joe