[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Fwd: Hold alerts problem

Donna Rowland drowland at fontanalib.org
Thu Jan 10 06:44:46 EST 2013

Fiona,
I'm not sure this holds issue is the same as we were having,  but below is
how we were told holds for new items are processed. I do have a copy of a
procedure for this and if you think it would help I will send  off list.
The 24 hour mark may or may not have been part of our problem, but I have
heard no other complaints since I sent out the procedure.

'When a new item is added to the system, it can take up to 24 hours for
Evergreen to
recognize all holds for the new item. Existing holds do not add a new item
to their list of potential items until they hit their 24 hour mark and
update themselves.For example a library patron places a hold at 10:00 am,
and the library cataloged a new copy earlier that morning, the 1:10 pm
“hold update cycle” will catch the new item. If staff want new items to be
included in the hold list, and not wait the 24 hour period, they can reset
holds and force a re-creation of their potential items list so new items
can be processed accordingly.'

Donna Rowland
Fontana Regional Library
System Admin.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 6:21 AM, Fiona Borthwick <
fiona.borthwick at ptfs-europe.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I didn't receive any responses to this so I am reposting in the hope that
> someone may have some useful ideas for me.................................
>
> Many thanks!
> Fiona
>

> -------- Original Message --------  Subject: Hold alerts problem  Date: Tue,
> 18 Dec 2012 17:17:00 +0000  From: Fiona Borthwick
> <fiona.borthwick at ptfs-europe.com> <fiona.borthwick at ptfs-europe.com>  To: Evergreen
> Discussion Group <open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org><open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org>
>
> Hi,
>
> We have a customer who is experiencing regular problems with hold alerts
> not appearing and items being routed back to the shelf.  They are using
> Evergreen 2.2.2.
>
> This is consistently happening and we cannot find any reason to cause this.
>
> There are 3 main problems:
>
> 1)  Generally hold alerts are not being seen at checkin.  Items are
> being routed back to the shelf despite there being holds. Furthermore
> these same items are being allowed to be checked out and there is NO
> warning that the item cannot be issued due to holds.
>
> 2)  We can clearly see holds placed at Title level and they are visible
> via the View Holds screen.  This can often look peculiar too as the
> holds queue seems to run from (example) 1 - 17 and then start again at
> number 42.  Once the 17th hold had been filled, Evergreen sent the items
> back to the shelves as it didn't seem to think that there were any other
> holds.
>
> 3)  Newly added items are not being trapped for holds.  This is despite
> having the checkin modifiers correctly set and processing the items.
>
> The hold_targeter.pl script is running regularly.
>
> The 'Retarget Local Holds' and 'Retarget Local Statuses' flags are
> enabled in the Checkin Modifiers.
>
> There are no specific holds values set in the Library Settings Editor.
> The only populated settings are as follows:
>
> -- Block Renewal of Items Needed for Holds (set to TRUE for the consortium)
> -- Default Hold Shelf Expire Interval (set to different times per system)
> --  Expire Alert Interval (system setting)
> --  Expire Interval (system setting)
> -- FIFO (set to TRUE for consortium)
>
> As you can imagine this is causing major problems for our customer. We
> have spent considerable periods of time investigating the problem and
> testing different scenarios with hold policies but the alerts are simply
> not appearing when using the Checkin (F2) screen.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas why this could be happening?
>
> Thanks,
> Fiona
>
> --
> Fiona Borthwick
> Customer Services Consultant, PTFS Europe Limited
> Content Management and Library Solutions
>
> +44 (0) 800 756 6803  (phone)
> +44 (0) 7540 768230  (mobile)
> [...]

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ingnorance.
*~Confucius*

Donna Rowland (drowland at fontanalib.org)

Finance Assistant

Fontana Regional Library

33 Fryemont Rd.

Bryson City, NC 28713

Voice: 828-488-2382 ext.26

Fax: 828-488-2638

“Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my
library. All  e-mail sent to or from the Fontana Regional Library e-mail
systems is subject to monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including
law enforcement personnel.”