[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Minimum Available Copy/Hold Ratio

Bill Erickson berick at esilibrary.com
Tue Jan 15 10:26:31 EST 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Joan Kranich <jkranich at cwmars.org> wrote:

>  Hello,****
>
> ** **
>
> If you are using the circulation policy field for Minimum Available
> Copy/Hold Ratio or Minimum Total Copy/Hold Ratio to prevent renewals on
> titles with Holds, can you tell me the ratio you use and how it is working?

Hi Joan,

I'm not personally using the ratio, but I can offer some examples.

In general, the ratio defines the minimum number of available (or existing)
copies required to accommodate active hold requests (on the same record)
before a renewal is allowed.

A ratio value of "1" (1/1) means there has to be at least 1 copy for every
hold.

A ratio value of "2" (2/1) means there has to be at least 2 copies for
every hold.

A ratio value of ".5" (1/2) means there has to be at least 1 copy for every
2 holds.

A ratio value of ".75" (3/4) means there has to be at least 3 copies for
every 4 holds.

Etc...

Hope this helps,

-b