[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen web page for paid support vendors

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 13:45:26 EDT 2013

While I am personally an active community member, I'm also an employee
of a service provider, so unless I see something that seems
particularly antagonistic toward service providers I'll stay out of
most of this discussion except to say this: in my opinion, the purpose
of the page is not well served if there is not at least some
demonstration of competency for the specific services or products
offered by a vendor or service provider.  I don't know what sort of
vetting should take place, and I realize that there is a burden
involved to fearless our volunteers, but I'm of the opinion that a
blanket "caveat emptor" is enough to help those looking for Evergreen
services if there are, in fact, inaccurate offerings listed.  I wish I
had a solution, or even a suggestion, but I'm not sure I'm the one to
be offering such in this particular case.  That said, if others feel
my input would be valuable I'm happy to speak publicly or privately
about possible solutions to any real or perceived problems.

However, on a more positive note, I'd like to address Kathy's question
about third-party services and vendors.  I believe that the "vendor
page" could be used to good effect to reward (or, perhaps, highlight)
those third party vendors that are active contributors to the project.
 Those that sponsor or implement specific, measurable feature
improvements in Evergreen don't fall into the "support vendor"
category, but go beyond "our stuff works with Evergreen because we
followed standard X."  Vendors of that type don't currently have much
representation or exposure, but they are important.  I'll give a
couple examples (of which there are quite a few more, actually) to
help clarify:

 * EBSCO sent a developer to the 2012 hackfest with the expressed
purpose of implementing NoveList Select functionality in Evergreen,
and they wanted to do that so they could make sure Evergreen will
continue to be able to integrate their content. (They partially
sponsored the event, too, but that's a different thing.)
 * PV-SUPA sponsored development to integrate their RFID hardware with
the Evergreen staff client, and enthusiastically agreed to have it
developed in such a way as to allow other 3rd party products to
integrate in a similar way by paying to have a plugin framework built,
instead of pushing for a special-case integration just for them.

Recognizing 3rd party contributors of this sort, along side direct
service providers, would provide incentive for future and broader
collaboration and contribution, and highlight those external products
and services that have both (actual) external and community backing.

Thoughts?

--miker

--
Mike Rylander