[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Search Filter Groups

Elizabeth B. Thomsen et at noblenet.org
Thu Jul 11 10:33:11 EDT 2013

Thanks, Bill!  We probably should have been able to guess that syntax.
We use copy location groups extensively here for scopes, and have to
edit them frequently when libraries rearrange their collections and add
new copy locations, so not having to remember to add these in two places
would definitely be helpful.

One more question on the speed of search issue -- is there a difference
here between using a copy location in a search filter group and using
one as a scope in the location selector?  We currently have some
location group scopes that include very long lists of copy locations,
and don't have speed problems with them.

For example, we have a copy location group that's called All Children's
Locations in the location selector and it works fine.  Would there be
any reason that it would be slower if used in as in a search filter
group for audience as an alternative to working with the MARC audience
fixed field?

We're trying to test these, but we're working on our training system
which is different hardware and obviously different load.  We're
enthusiastic about the power of search filter groups but a little wary
about possible performance issues.

E-mail: et at noblenet.org