[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Billing Fixes and Enhancements Sponsored by MassLNC

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Jul 16 16:25:25 EDT 2013

Hi Terra,

Thanks for the feedback! I think I can answer your questions, but,
Jason, please jump if I get anything wrong.
> Hi Jason,
>
> I've asked for input from the PINES Subcommittees on the billing changes you've been asked to make. In general their overall response was a request for you to make each of the items optional (system-wide) so that if they are included in the core Evergreen product eventually, that PINES will be able to opt out of the changes if they conflict with current or desired work processes.
>

> 1. Support for conditional negative balances

Yes, these will be library settings and therefore will be optional.

> 2. Support for lost and paid status
>
> Responses: The responses indicated that they are unclear about where these status’ would be listed and for what reason they would be used for. Would the status be listed under the Item Status window or in the patron’s account? Regardless, if it were made optional, PINES could opt in or out of it.
This will be implemented as a stop fines reason that is applied after
full payment has been made and will also change the copy status to "Lost
& Paid." Library settings will be available to make this status optional.

As far as the reason for the Lost & Paid status, our libraries see that
the payment or non-payment of an item can make a difference in whether
they can expect to see the item again. In other words, an unpaid lost
item is more likely to eventually reach the shelves again than an item
for which a patron has already paid the replacement cost.

In that regards, the holdability and OPAC visibility settings for a lost
item may differ from the same settings for a lost and paid item. From
our perspective, a copy status made sense since it enables control over
holdability and OPAC visibility.

Visibility in the staff client is also of considerable importance. We
see this visibility as a usability issue. As an example, let's say a
reference person has a patron they are helping who wants to know if the
library has a particular title. If the reference person looks it up and
sees that it is lost, but has not yet had a payment, they might just
decide to place a hold on another library's copy since there is a
possibility that the item will be returned.  If they see that the item
is lost and paid, they probably would still place a hold, but would also
take the steps necessary to replace the item. Although it is currently
possible to determine the payment status of that lost item, it takes
several steps for staff to find the patron who lost the item, retrieve
their record, and determine if a payment was made.

> 3. Void lost fees for claims returned items

Yes, there will be library settings that will enable/disable this
functionality.

> 4. Allow renewal on lost, long overdue and claims returned items

There will be a permission tied to this ability, so you can disable it
by not providing the permission to any of your users. In our case, I
think our libraries were most interested in giving permission to staff,
but not allowing public patrons to renew these items. I can see that
other libraries might not want to provide this permission to anyone.

Kathy