[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Bug bounties

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Jul 30 16:53:09 EDT 2013

Hi Rogan,

Sorry to be late in getting you feedback on this, but I just wanted to
send along a vote of support for the idea of offering bug bounties. I
think it's a great idea!

I think it should be limited to true bugs and not be used for wishlist
bugs. I know there are plenty of bugs to tackle that are more than a
year old, but, when working in two-releases per year cycle, I'm thinking
bugs become old much sooner than that. Maybe six month or even less? I
generally have found that if a bug doesn't receive some kind of
attention in the first three months (attention being questions,
confirmation, lots of "me too"s etc.), it is likely to be one of those
bugs that ends up gathering dust. I think it's important that we give
bugs a chance to get community attention before offering a bounty. Six
months seems like it would be more than sufficient.

> some would say it doesn't weigh importance of more recent bugs (and
> that's true).

I think it was me who said that. :) Overall, I would say targeting the
older bugs is important. However, as with anything, I think there are
exceptions. The specific bug I had in mind was
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1187993 which is related to an
accessibility issue in the catalog when autosuggest is enabled. I see
this bug as an exception because I believe accessibility is something
the community should be supporting/striving for in any way we can.
Perhaps there are/will be other unique cases out there where priority
will take precedence.

In any case, if the community decides to move forward with this, I would
be willing to volunteer to help work out the details. We might not come
up with the perfect system, but, whatever happens, it should lead to
some fixes for issues that have been frustrating people.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator
klussier at masslnc.org