[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Google Summer of Code 2013 – Evergreen Project

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Mon Jun 17 10:50:19 EDT 2013

The Evergreen Project was accepted for the third year into the Google
Summer of Code for 2013 among 177 other open source projects.  We asked
for and received one student slot; our intent this summer is to focus on
providing quality community guidance and mentoring for this student.

As always, the mentors took careful review of all student proposals
submitted for GSOC projects with Evergreen.  While we wish we could have
chosen more of the best proposals, ultimately we could only choose one.

Congratulations to Dmitry Nechai, Chernihiv State Technological
University, who submitted a proposal to work on “Build a customizable
dashboard to show library usage and server health“ (see
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2013/laque/20001).
Coding is scheduled to begin soon and we expect to hear lots from Dmitry
as he begins his work.  His IRC nickname is “laque”, so look for him in
our IRC channel to say hello.

Jason Stephenson (Merrimac Valley Library Consortium) and Benjamin Shum,
(Bibliomation) will be the primary mentors working with Dmitry on this
project.  That said, Google Summer of Code is intended to introduce
student interest in working with open source projects and we invite the
whole Evergreen community to participate by communicating openly with
our student.  Together, we hope for a positive learning experience, some
new code, and some fun this summer.

More to follow!