[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Some questions about using Evergreen for a private library

Joe knuevejo at oplin.org
Mon Jun 17 11:10:15 EDT 2013

Hi Claire.

The good news is that I am fairly certain that all of your must have and
would like to have features are possible in Evergreen.
My one question for you would be, how is your experience level with
linux/unix?  Getting Evergreen installed and configured requires a
fairly robust knowledge of a command line unix type environment and
Postgre SQL.

Another program you may want to consider if the installation process for
Evergreen looks too daunting is Openbiblio.  The primary advantage of it
over Evergreen is that if you are already familiar with a Windows
environment and have a computer running it you can install it very
quickly on such a system and be up and running with a minimal amount of
hair pulling.  That said, some features that are integrated into
Evergreen are add-ons for Openbiblio, so it's possible that some of the
functionality you are looking for would not work as well in openbiblio
as in Evergreen.
An important example of this is z39.50 integration.  z39.50 is the
protocol by which you can search other catalogs and download their
records for items you own rather than writing up records by hand. (a
necessity in my mind for anything more than a handful of items..).  I
believe this is a core feature in Evergreen, where as in openbiblio it
is an add-on package.

I hope this has helped in some small way.

Have a good day.

Joe

Joseph Knueven
Director