[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Are any libraries using OCLC WorldCat Local and/or Worldshare?

Erik Stevens technology at haineslibrary.org
Fri Mar 22 15:09:07 EDT 2013

Hi Denise,

We are using WorldCat local with Evergreen. You can check out
the functionality by using the search box on our homepage:
www.haineslibrary.org

If you search for an item, and our library has it, Worldcat local will
place our results at the top, and give the user a link that says "Check
catalog at Haines Cooperative
Libraries<http://haines.worldcat.org/wcpa/oclc/3885910?page=frame&url=https%3A%2F%2Fhaines.evergreencatalog.com%2Feg%2Fopac%2Fresults%3Fcontains%3Dcontains%26_special%3D1%26qtype%3Didentifier%257Cisbn%26query%3D0517278014%26checksum%3Dd7e589414e98b1597c1b2c9f7de1b941&title=Haines+Cooperative+Libraries&linktype=opac&detail=Q2R%3AHaines+Cooperative+Libraries%3APublic+Library>
"

That link brings the item up in our Evergreen OPAC.

We like this feature because it encourages patrons to order an item through
ILL if we do not have it locally, and shows them many more titles than our
library can offer.

Setting this up was relatively simple, and there wasn't any custom
programming required. They seem to have the SIP connection to Evergreen
figured out already. The only hard part was getting the correct hyperlink
format for ISBN number searches in our OPAC.

I would be happy to provide more details.

Cheers,

--
Erik Stevens
Library Systems Engineer

Original Message below:
>We had WorldCat Local, but discontinued it when we migrated to Evergreen
because OCLC has not developed interoperability with Evergreen.  But OCLC
claims we could develop the programing to display >the item location and
availability within WCL for our holdings.  We loved this feature when we
had our old system and would like it back.  Has any Evergreen library done
this already?  If so, I'd like to ask >you some questions about what it
took to accomplish.  Thanks.