[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Site considering Ever Green

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Tue Oct 8 10:58:25 EDT 2013

I'll slightly disagree with Jason in that I think you should pay more.
 True, you can hire someone to manage your migration to a F/OSS system (and
there are some good ones in the community) just as you can hire a
commercial vendor but going F/OSS is a chance to have more control over
your data which I have always argued is one of a library's most valuable
assets.  So, even if you hire a migration manager taking the chance to be
involved and learn as much as you can will benefit your library greatly
long term because no matter how great an outside migration team is there is
not substitute for the persons who know the library best also knowing how
the tools work.  That's true with reference books and it's true with ILSes.

P.S. I do agree that you should look at Koha and Evergreen.  They're both
solid projects and in the course of due diligence you should consider both.

--

Rogan Hamby, MLS, CCNP, MIA
Managers Headquarters Library and Reference Services,

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit
me."
-- C.S. Lewis <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1069006.C_S_Lewis>