[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen Staff Client Prototype Project

Bill Erickson berick at esilibrary.com
Mon Oct 21 14:38:48 EDT 2013

Hi Marc,

No worries, that's a great question.  There's a brief summary along the top
of our staff client Hackway notes:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QALWLD-vAjDV8HseQyE5j0Yc-93Nrl-1B00xeP_npak/edit?pli=1

Many features we relied on have been removed, which leaves us stuck on old
versions.  More concerning, though, from the doc:  "Conversations with
Mozilla folks (Dan Scott at GSoC Mentor Summit) resulted in reactions of
surprise and concern that we were depending on XULRunner".

The phrase "sinking ship" was uttered more than once at the Hackaway.

-b

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Marc Truitt <mtruitt at mta.ca> wrote:

> On 10/21/2013 01:44 PM, Bill Erickson wrote:
> > As many of you know, the Evergreen staff client is built on a product
> > called XULRunner, which is no longer considered a viable long-term option
> > as a software platform.
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> First time poster here, so please forgive what is likely a silly newbie
> question:
>
> For those of us who are new to or simply evaluating Evergreen, would you
> mind providing a q+d resume of why XULRunner is "no longer considered a
> viable long-term option as a software platform"?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> - mt

> Marc Truitt
> University Librarian                voice  : 506-364-2567
> Mount Allison University            e-mail : mtruitt at mta.ca
> Libraries and Archives              fax    : 506-364-2617
> 49 York Street                      cell   : 506-232-0503
> Sackville, NB  E4L 1C6
>
> "And my favorite request for the year was to change the call number of
> something in the PNs to the Zs -- because we don't have any more room
> in the PNs.  And no one wants to shift books in order to accommodate."
>
> -- C. Baker, posting to Autocat electronic discussion list, 19 Sept 2013

Bill Erickson