[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] report to find holds?

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Wed Oct 30 20:46:28 EDT 2013

Hi Holly,

I'm not certain this is something that can be done via the staff
client's reports, but this is my thinking so far...

Because most given holds are title holds and targeting bib records,
but all copy locations are tied to items, it's not always going to be
a one for one connection from hold to specific item that I can think
of.  An approach I might use in this situation would be getting a list
of the bib records associated with a given set of items belonging to a
particular copy location and then seeing which holds target those bib
records.

The following is something I whipped up quickly in SQL that might work:

-- Title of material, # of holds
-- Number of title holds targeted towards bib records with copies
associated with a copy location named 'In Process'

SELECT rmsr.title, COUNT(*)
FROM action.hold_request ahr
JOIN reporter.materialized_simple_record rmsr ON rmsr.id = ahr.target
WHERE ahr.hold_type = 'T'
AND ahr.target IN (
SELECT acn.record
FROM asset.copy ac
JOIN asset.copy_location acl ON acl.id = ac.location
JOIN asset.call_number acn ON acn.id = ac.call_number
WHERE acl.name = 'In Process'
AND ac.deleted = FALSE)
GROUP BY 1
ORDER BY 2 DESC;

Some potential caveats include figuring whether or not to count
inactive/suspended holds or adding some union merges to count also
things like volume or copy holds (among other types of holds) as well
if we were to focus on all the various ways holds could be placed
trying to get these items.

Good luck, curious to see what other folks think of for this question.

-- Ben