[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Library Shortname

Lebbeous Fogle-Weekley lebbeous at esilibrary.com
Fri Sep 6 13:09:32 EDT 2013

Hi Kermit,

Everything Rogan says is 100% correct, but if it's a matter of
communicating with library staff who may not know what you mean
(although this would kind of surprise me) when you ask for their
branch's shortname, there is an easy way to retrieve an Evergreen
site's whole organizational tree, with names and shortnames and the
basic contact information.

Just make an HTTP request against any Evergreen server like so:

http://demo.evergreencatalog.com/gateway?service=open-ils.actor&method=open-ils.actor.org_tree.retrieve

That is, you substitute the hostname of the site you're working with
for "demo.evergreencatalog.com".

The data returned is almost* JSON, and you'll quickly figure out the
structure and which array elements per-org unit contain names and
shortnames.

* It contains comments, and JSON doesn't technically allow comments,
but some parsers can be configured to overlook this.  This data is
really meant to be fed into something called Fieldmapper, a component
of Evergreen for autovivifying objects with accessor methods in
various languages, but you can treat it as JSON if you know or can
figure out what you're looking for.

Hope this helps

Lebbeous

--