[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Patron Family Groups and Cloning

Martha Driscoll driscoll at noblenet.org
Wed Sep 11 09:32:16 EDT 2013

We have been using the save and clone feature when adding users to
Evergreen as an easy way to copy similar information from one record to
another.  These are most often family members, but could also be
students sharing an apartment.

We have the setting 'Patron Registration: Cloned patrons get address
copy' set to true because 1) we think it is just cleaner for each user
to have their own address record and 2) we don't want to create linked
relationships even for family members.

We have discovered recently, thanks to using the horizontal display
where it is prominent, that cloning creates a group relationship.  I
guess my question is what is the background of the cloning/grouping
feature and why is cloning which is a great way to save typing so
closely related to grouping?

--
Martha Driscoll
Systems Manager