[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen 2.5-beta1 Released [RM2.5]

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Mon Sep 30 10:25:32 EDT 2013

Hello all,

Friday marked the first beta release of Evergreen 2.5.  You can download it here:

http://evergreen-ils.org/egdownloads/

As noted in my previous email, we are a bit behind schedule, and looking back, I think vacation season ending, plus Hack-a-Way activity, plus general procrastination in a few areas, all conspired together to create a brief but intense whirlwind over the last week or two.  We ended up with 49 total bugs/features committed for the beta phase, so considering the other phases all had 30-40, it wasn't a huge rush by comparison, but it was noticeable.  You can see all the work done specifically as part of the beta here:

https://launchpad.net/evergreen/+milestone/2.5.0-beta1

Thanks again to everyone who wrote and tested all the code and documentation changes committed since 2.4, particularly those who gave some extra effort to add meaningful strength to the additional milestones throughout the cycle.  I am still hopeful that some of the more methodical activity we accomplished over the summer will result in a better overall release.

At this point, the main thing which stands between us and 2.5.0 "gold" is enough people putting the beta through its paces.  Please test if you are able, and please open (or comment on) a Launchpad ticket if you find anything you feel must be fixed before a final release, i.e. "show-stoppers".  Also, I would very much appreciate any kind of feedback on the upgrade script, since that is something least likely to be realistically tested by the Evergreen developer community.

Sincerely,
Dan

Daniel Wells
Library Programmer/Analyst