[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Browser client - Scroll versus Page

Bill Erickson berick at esilibrary.com
Wed Apr 2 11:29:04 EDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 10:54 AM, McCanna, Terran <
tmccanna at georgialibraries.org> wrote:

> A few more questions about scrolling versus paging that popped into my
> head at 1am this morning:
>
> 1) With paging through a very long result set, it's normal practice to be
> able to jump ahead in the list (to page 5 of 9) instead of clicking through
> the pages one at a time. I haven't seen this type of functionality on other
> scrolling pages where you would keep hitting 'more' - thoughts?

I think in either case, we would want a "jump to page" option.

> 2) Am I right in assuming that grids will be sortable by clicking on
> column headers? How would the sorting behavior differ (if it differs at
> all) between a paged grid or a scrolling grid? Would it sort the entire
> list or just the visible list? (My preference for it would be the entire
> list.)

Yes.  It will sort the entire list* and there will be no difference between
scrolled vs. paged.

-b

* In some interfaces, the data displayed does not provide a global sorting
mechanism.  I don't have a specific UI in mind, but as we're porting
existing code, I'm sure we'll find some.  Those will have to to be
addressed individually, outside of the browser client project.  In those
cases we can probably indicate in the UI that sorting is disabled (or
different) as needed.

--
Bill Erickson