[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] browser staff feedback request / integration

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Fri Apr 4 12:37:16 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 7:25 AM, McCanna, Terran
<tmccanna at georgialibraries.org> wrote:
> My preference would be to leave the existing client as is (with the
> exception of bug fixes, etc.), but to offer the browser-based modules
> as options once they become available.

+1 for the reasons that folks have already mentioned.  My main caveat
is to try to anticipate and avoid situations where folks would not
only have to switch from browser to XUL often, but would also need to
maintain a lot of context while doing so.

As a contrived example, if v1 of the web-based circulation interface
let you do everything except register patrons, switching to the staff
client to add a new patron, then switching back to the browser to scan
their barcode and check out their first items wouldn't be ideal, but
it wouldn't be difficult or slow to make the transition.  This is
because the only thing needed to maintain the context during the
transition is scanning a patron barcode.

Conversely, as another contrived example, if v1 of web-based circ
required that you jump to the XUL staff client during a checkout
session to add a pre-cat, that would be more disruptive, as it
scatters the overall workflow of "check out a bunch of items" across
two interfaces, and raises questions like whether the patron would end
up with two checkout receipts.

Regards,

Galen
--