[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Items not checking in?

Holly Brennan haderhold at ci.homer.ak.us
Fri Apr 11 14:56:14 EDT 2014

>>Personally, I'm pretty sure we've got PEBKAC going on. At our local library, we've implemented work flow improvements and the problem has pretty much disappeared. Still, I thought I'd ask: have any of you experienced this issue?

It’s the general consensus, but I’ll chime in, too. Yep, easy to blame the software but staff are the likely problem. When our library switched to Evergreen a year ago, we noticed a SIGNIFICANT lag time increase during scans and in general (just switching screens/tabs takes a lot longer). And with that was an increase in the number of problems with books ending up back on the shelves while still checked out. We are still working on patience, but our rate of this occurring is back to “normal”..

An Evergreen-specific feature that could be causing this is the warning when something is mis-scanned. I never saw that with our former ILS. I think it would just take anything scanned and enter it without question. Evergreen doesn’t let you check something out (or in) that doesn’t exist. Again, the actual problem is with staff not looking at the message and going on to the next item. Same with hold/transfer messages.

Personally, I have found that turning off the scanner beep helps (with general workflow, not ILS-specific). But others freaked out when I did this with a circ desk scanner, so now it’s just the one at my personal desk that doesn’t beep. I know it helps me look at the screen every time!

-Holly

We have libraries in our consortium that are claiming that Evergreen is not properly checking in items, i.e. that they're scanning the items for check in but the system isn't taking the item off the patron's account. We're running 2.5.1.

Personally, I'm pretty sure we've got PEBKAC going on. At our local library, we've implemented work flow improvements and the problem has pretty much disappeared. Still, I thought I'd ask: have any of you experienced this issue?

Cheers!
Buzzy

Library Director
Hood River County Library District