[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Items not checking in?

Michele Morgan mmorgan at noblenet.org
Fri Apr 11 16:45:47 EDT 2014

Just wanted to add one more thought to this thread.

Our libraries deal with checkin errors as well. The same was true in our
previous library systems, but we had a LOT of questions about items not getting
checked in after we migrated to Evergreen.

As others have mentioned, we have encouraged our libraries to turn off scanner
beeps and rely on the sounds made by Evergreen, and stressed the importance of
reading the screen.

We've also suggested to our libraries that they try a few checkin tests:

With a clean checkin screen, checkin a series of items and put them all on a
cart in the order they were checked in. When the cart is full, export the entire
list of items from the checkin screen. Match up the exported item list to the
items on the cart. Items on the cart, but not on the list didn't get checked in
and looking at the sequence of checkins may help identify how items got missed.

This diligence has helped, and we could certainly say that the ultimate problem
is that staff need to pay closer attention to the screen. But that doesn't mean
we should let the software totally off the hook. As others have mentioned,
misscans, the client not keeping up with staff, the need to click or tab to
acknowledge messages, all require a lot of attention from the staff user.

Circulation desks are busy. As previously mentioned, there is a lot of
multitasking going on. It's the job of circ desk staffers to provide high
quality service to their customers. It's the job of the software to provide high
quality service to the circ desk staffers.

Hopefully, the transition to the web based client should go a long way toward
providing a smooth and intuitive interface so that the staff's main focus can be
on their customers.

-Michele

--
Michele Morgan, Technical Assistant
North of Boston Library Exchange, Danvers Massachusetts
mmorgan at noblenet.org