[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Items not checking in?

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Mon Apr 14 17:11:11 EDT 2014

I'm curious to know which pop-ups are suppressed using the "Suppress
popup-dialogs during check-in."  Is it all pop-ups (including holds and
transit, which we really need to see) or just the missing, lost, and
claims returned pop-ups that seem unnecessary to most of the users here
in MA?

Libraries may not be performing brain surgery, but it doesn't mean we
shouldn't strive to make our systems the best that they can be for
library staff so that they can spend less time working in the ILS and
more time working with their users. It's true -  if a book is put on the
shelf without being checked in properly, it's not the end of the world.
But if it happens a lot, the time spent fixing those errors that could
have otherwise been spent providing other services to patrons start to
add up. Brain surgery or not, what we all want is to make the most
productive use of our time, isn't it?

Some library staff may find it important to be alerted every time a
missing or lost item is checked in. The library staff I generally talk
to do not think this information is important. Ideally, we should have
control over which of these alerts display. Some libraries may want to
get the alert of number of pieces when they are checking items in, so
that they can make sure everything was returned, but they might not want
this information when they are busy checking out these items to patrons.
Right now, we can't distinguish between a checkin and chekout alert, but
it would be nice if we could.

My hope is that the web client will help with some of the speed issues
we've seen at checkin, but it won't help us gain more control over these
alerts. I'm hoping we could see more development in this area once
circulation has been moved over to the web client, because I think we
could save time if some of these alerts were suppressed.

There have been some good ideas generated through this discussion.
MassLNC had recently come up with some development requirements
(http://masslnc.cwmars.org/node/2764) that would give Evergreen sites
more granular control over which alerts display. We opted not to proceed
with the development because of the upcoming freeze on new circulation
features. However, it's something that I know many of our libraries
would like to see us pick up again once circulation has been moved to
the web client.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator