[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] dewey call number normalization

Adam Shire adam at flo.org
Thu Apr 24 15:32:01 EDT 2014

Hi Everyone,

We are testing in evergreen 2.5.2

I'm noticing what I think looks like incorrect behavior when using the call
number browse feature.

Doing a call number browse search for 720 results in the following call
number sort order:

720 H47 1979
720 .H47
720.1 H74 1979
720.1 .H47 1980
720.1 .H74 1979
720 H74 1979
720 .H74 1979

It looks like the decimal point might be throwing things off. I think that
should be taken care of in a normalizer, but maybe there is a reason not
to. I think the 720.1's should come at the end of this list, regardless of
the decimal point before the cutter.

All of the call numbers are identified as DDC.

you can probably replicate this here
http://emerson.eg.flo.org/eg/opac/cnbrowse?cn=715&locg=2

I didn't see any bug reports that seemed to address this specific issue, so
I'm wondering if there could be something else causing this behavior.

thanks,
Adam

--

Adam Shire