[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] dewey call number normalization

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Thu Apr 24 17:15:35 EDT 2014

This will be a slightly more technical answer that may require some direct
database access to ascertain more details.

You mention that the call numbers are identified as DDC.  So that's
label_class of 2, I believe.  We are using Dewey (DDC) for all of our
materials by default as well in our consortium.

I'd be curious to know what the label_sortkey values were for those call
numbers you mention.  That field is what actually drives the sorting values
for a given set.

For example, just pulling a few samples from our asset.call_number table:

label -> label_sortkey

720 Mag -> 720_000000000000000_MAG
720.9 How -> 720_900000000000000_HOW
720.92 Ros -> 720_920000000000000_ROS
720.973 THO -> 720_973000000000000_THO

So, the normalizer for Dewey class ought to pad in the extra zeroes with
the first . decimal point to set the initial sorting.  In that case, I
would expect 720 by itself to be 720_000... and 720.1 to be 720_100.... in
the sorting, which would result in the expected order.

But perhaps something is not quite right with your call number's
label_sortkey values, or it's behaving in yet another unexpected way.  I do
not know how your system is setup, but it's possible for the label_sortkey
values to be incorrect due to bugs or earlier implementations of Dewey
normalizers in previous run versions of Evergreen.  This has happened to us
before, where the class was set appropriately, but we had to run all the
call numbers back through to update the label_sortkey appropriately.

Hope this gets you somewhere to start looking, please feel free to follow
up with further questions.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum