[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 2.6 Wrap Up and Awards [RM2.6]

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Fri Apr 25 16:07:57 EDT 2014

Hello all,

With 2.6.0 cut 10 days ago, it is high time for me to give one final update before I pass the torch.  I haven't given a formal email progress summary since the beta (though a verbal update was given at the conference), so we'll be looking back at both the RC and the 2.6 "final" contribution periods.

With 23 tickets committed for the RC and 15 for 2.6.0, the grand total for the 2.6 cycle comes to exactly 100 improvements committed.  You can see the latest two rounds of fixes here:

https://launchpad.net/evergreen/2.6/2.6.0-rc1

and here:

https://launchpad.net/evergreen/2.6/2.6.0

While Launchpad gives us a nuts and bolts view of things, with a final release comes a better way to look more broadly at the changes: release notes!  You can read the release notes for 2.6 here:

http://evergreen-ils.org/documentation/release/RELEASE_NOTES_2_6.html

Of course, the beat goes on, and a few important fixes have already been committed for what will be 2.6.1.  I encourage anyone looking at 2.6.0 to read up on these recent commits and decide whether they might affect your local use:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+milestone/2.6.1

My expectation is still that 2.6.1 will be cut relatively early (within the next week or two), and that normal monthly updates will begin with 2.6.2.

Overall, I am proud of all that we have been able to accomplish these past two cycles.  With that in mind, I'd like to take another moment to recognize those who put forth the necessary effort to make 2.6 a reality.  Of course this means medals, and for this round, you will notice that the medals are now rimmed in maroon.  This is meant not only to distinguish these final medals from the rest, but also as a modest gesture to my employer Calvin College, without whom I would not be involved with Evergreen, and without whose support I could not have managed these last two releases.

Here are the recipients of the final Evergreen Medals of Honour for the 2.6 release (RC and 2.6.0 combined):

A. HANCOCK Medal of Fortitude (for reviewing and signing off on another community member's code)
  1. GOLD Recipients (granted for signing off on at least 6 branches)
        http://www.calvin.edu/library/images/eg_medals/Hancock_Medal_2_6_Final_Gold.png
        Ben Shum
        Galen Charlton
        Remington Steed
  2. SILVER Recipients (at least 2 signoffs)
        http://www.calvin.edu/library/images/eg_medals/Hancock_Medal_2_6_Final_Silver.png
        Bill Erickson
  3. BRONZE Recipients (at least 1 signoff)
        http://www.calvin.edu/library/images/eg_medals/Hancock_Medal_2_6_Final_Bronze.png
        Doug Kyle
        Jason Stephenson
        Jeff Godin
        Kathy Lussier
        Mike Rylander

B. BARTON Medal of Steadfastness (for contributing in general to the code review process)
  1. GOLD Recipients (granted for contributing to at least 7 bug reviews)
        http://www.calvin.edu/library/images/eg_medals/Barton_Medal_2_6_Final_Gold.png
        Ben Shum
        Bill Erickson
        Galen Charlton
        Mike Rylander
  2. SILVER Recipients (at least 3 bugs)
        http://www.calvin.edu/library/images/eg_medals/Barton_Medal_2_6_Final_Silver.png
        Chris Sharp
        Dan Scott
        Grace Dunbar
        Jason Etheridge
        Jason Stephenson
        Kathy Lussier
        Lebbeous Fogle-Weekley
        Remington Steed
  3. BRONZE Recipients (at least 1 bug)
        http://www.calvin.edu/library/images/eg_medals/Barton_Medal_2_6_Final_Bronze.png
        Christine Morgan
        Doug Kyle
        Elaine Hardy
        Elliot Voris
        Erica Rohlfs
        Holly Brennan
        Jeff Godin
        Jennifer Pringle
        Mark Cooper
        Michael Peters
        Michele Morgan
        Pasi Kallinen
        Rogan Hamby
        Sarah Childs
        Srey Seng
        Steve Callender
        Tim Spindler
        Tina Ji
        Tony Bandy
        Warren Layton
        Yamil Suarez

C. ARMSTRONG Medal of Courage (for installing and testing a release tarball, and reporting back)
  1. GOLD Recipients (granted for simply doing this!)
        http://www.calvin.edu/library/images/eg_medals/Armstrong_Medal_2_6_Final_Gold.png
        Remington Steed

As always, please contact me if I made any mistakes, as I want everyone to get the recognition they deserve!

Along those lines, and in addition to the recognition given above, I'd like to give one more medal under the banner of "ask and you shall receive."  Mike Rylander single-handedly wrote code to fix a majority of the release blockers for 2.6, and mentioned in IRC the possibility of an extra medal as a source of motiviation.  Who am I to deny such a dream?  Here it is, with thanks!

D. HAAS Medal of Expeditiousness (for dedication to fixing release blockers)
        http://www.calvin.edu/library/images/eg_medals/Haas_Medal_2_6_Final_Gold.png
        Mike Rylander

I really can't say it enough, so thanks again to everyone who made Evergreen into what it is today.  It has been a privilege to serve the community as release manager for the past year, and I look forward to continuing to serve in different capacities in the future.

Sincerely,
Dan

Daniel Wells
Library Programmer/Analyst