[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 099 / 090 / 050

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Fri Aug 1 09:32:31 EDT 2014

Hi Donald,

I'm not 100% sure what the question you're asking is and I hate to make
some bad assumptions so I'll try to move this along by providing a little
information with a caveat.  My caveat is that I work for a public library
and I know a lot of consortiums use a setup similar to ours but there may
be some functionality elsewhere that I'm not familiar with to use the marc
based bib call numbers more.

Generally, bib based call numbers aren't used as the call numbers per se in
Evergreen.  Those are values set in volume records.  That doesn't mean that
Evergreen doesn't pay attention to those values.  For example, I think the
099 etc... are indexed as keywords per MODs mapping.

http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-mapping-3-2.html

Indexing and searching can be a long topic in it's own right there and I
have the impression you're talking more about opac level viewing and
interaction.  True/False?

--

Rogan Hamby, MLS, CCNP, MIA
Managers Headquarters Library and Reference Services,

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit
me.”
― C.S. Lewis <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1069006.C_S_Lewis>