[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Seeking opinions on client "Transfer All Title Holds" option

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Mon Aug 4 17:09:03 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I wanted to seek some feedback on Launchpad bug 1350377
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1350377.

The bug seeks an additional permission to be used with the "Transfer All
Title Holds" option in the client. However, I was wondering if there
would be any support from removing that option from the client altogether.

Here's the issue:

When you are in a bib record in the staff client, you have the option to
transfer *all* title holds to another bib record. You first need to mark
the other bib record as a holds transfer destination.

However, you also have the option to transfer one or any number of
selected holds to the marked bib record from the holds view of the bib
record. You could transfer just one hold here or you could select them
all if you really needed to transfer all holds. The benefit of using
this option is that the user must actively select the holds that will be
transferred.

I personally think providing a blanket "Transfer All Title Holds" option
in the client is dangerous, even if there were a separate permission for
it, and unnecessary since there are other methods available in the staff
client to accomplish the same task. Making it even more dangerous is the
fact that the "Actions for this Record" menu that contains this option
to transfer all holds is still available in the holds view of the bib
record, which is where you go to transfer selected holds (see the
screencast at http://www.screencast.com/t/ifHhJHNqq). It is very easy to
mistakenly select this option when you are trying just to transfer just
one hold. In fact, I accidentally selected it when I was just testing
out the transfer holds scenario a few minutes ago.

During a brief discussion in IRC on this issue, it was mentioned that
possible use cases for the "transfer all title holds" option are:

1. When staff are manually merging bib records. The client bib merge
option automatically merges holds, but there may be reasons staff merge
the records without using that option.
2. In cases where there are orphaned holds on a record that no longer
has copies to fill the hold.

Since I think both of these use cases could be accommodated by using the
option where you transfer selected holds, I wanted to see if others
would support removing the "Transfer All Title Holds" option. Is there
anyone who uses this option with some frequency who thinks it should
continue to be available?

Thanks!
Kathy

--