[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Regarding auth-bib linking on combined name/title headings (1xx main entry + 240 field)

Srey Seng sSeng at catalystitservices.com
Thu Aug 14 12:56:36 EDT 2014

Hello,

Question: Has any libraries out there performed bib-auth linking (with Backstage as a vendor ) and encounter the following scenario in their data? Any insight into how you approach this situation?

According to Backstage, their system will combine the 1XX and 240 into a temporary unified heading for matching against LC. In short, we can have situations where we have a Bib that generated an authority record after processing, similar to the example bib and auth snippet listed below.

This bib…
=100  0\$aMartial.
=240  10$aEpigrammata.$lEnglish & Latin.$kSelections
Generates this auth…
=100  0\$aMartial.$tEpigrammata.$kSelections.$lEnglish & Latin

From my understanding of authority control and bib-auth linking in Evergreen, only a one MARC tag to one MARC tag (and one subfield to one subfield) type of linking/control is supported. So, running this bib/auth pair through bib-auth linking does not link these two together. I found this situation to be one reason why some authority records returned from backstage does not link to any bib when looking at some stats after linking.

Thanks again for your help!