[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Seeking funding partners for upcoming development projects

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Fri Aug 15 10:06:47 EDT 2014

Hi all,

The MassLNC Development Committee met earlier this week to ascertain
what we need to move forward with some of our development projects this
year. With PINES' assistance, we are close to moving forward with two
development projects, but we still need a small amount of funds for each
project.

Alert development: This project has three components that give Evergreen
sites more control over their alerts: 1)The ability to designate copy
alerts as either checkin alerts or checkout alerts 2)The ability to add
temporary alerts to copies, primarily so that staff in one library can
add alerts to copies belonging to another library (e.g. "patron says
this DVD needs cleaning"), and 3)the ability for a library to suppress
some system alerts, such as the alerts that tell staff they have checked
in a lost, missing, long overdue, or claims returned item.

Our libraries believe this project is important because, although alerts
are sometimes necessary and relay critical information, many of our
libraries find that some alerts do not provide information they need to
know at certain points of the circ transaction. These alerts, therefore,
add unnecessary steps to the workflow. Although clicking through one
unnecessary alert may only add a couple of seconds to the workflow,
those seconds add up throughout the hundreds or thousands of circ
transactions that occur throughout the course of the day. Also, if we
remove the alerts that are unnecessary, staff are more likely to pay
closer attention to the alerts that provide important information.

MassLNC needs just $5,000 to proceed with this development project.

The Message Center project will provide a central area where patrons can
view library messages. An Evergreen site can configure which notices
will appear in the message center (e.g. overdues, cancelled holds,
pre-due notices). The center will also display any public notes added to
the patron record. These notes now display in the account summary area,
but can easily be missed if the patron isn't looking for them. Logged-in
users will get a visual cue, similar to those used in many other web
sites, that lets them know when they have a new message (see mock-ups at
http://masslnc.cwmars.org/node/2927).

Our libraries believe this project is important because users have come
to expect web sites to provide important information, not just through
e-mail, but also through the user account area of the web site. E-mail
communication for notices is not always reliable, and the message center
provides another means for communicating important information to the
patron. This project also takes a piece of information currently
available in the patron account area (public patron notes) and provides
a needed visual cue that lets patrons know the note is available.

MassLNC just needs $2,900 to proceed with this development project.

If your library is interested in either of these projects, but cannot
contribute the full amount required, please let me know. If we get
enough libraries that can only contribute a portion of the funds
required, those funds will quickly add up.

Please contact me directly if you have any questions on either of these
projects.

Thank you!
Kathy

Kathy Lussier