[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Keyword search result tuning

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Fri Aug 29 14:27:02 EDT 2014

Hi Michael,

I only skimmed the post before sending the link, but now that I look at
it more closely, I want to clarify something.

When looking at his tips, you'll want to skip the step that starts with
"Bump the relevance when the first search term appears first in the
title in a keyword search" because it makes use of that table I
mentioned below where people have reported performance issues in more
recent releases of Evergreen.

The real magic is in adding a weight to the new index you create. What
you basically are doing is creating a new title index that's in the
keyword class, not the title class. You can then apply a weight to that
index so that those words are weighted a little more heavily than other
words found in through a keyword search.

There is also now a staff client interface where you can create that
index and apply the weight - Admin -> Server Administration -> MARC
Search/Facet Classes. However, even if you create the index there, you
still need to follow the step where you then populate the
metabib.keyword_field_entry table with entries based on that new index.

I hope this helps!

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator