[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 2.8 release scheduling

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 08:29:04 EST 2014

Bill,

First, thanks for putting out a timeline.

I am a little concerned about the pre-beta feature freeze.  In the past,
the merge deadline for features has always been "whatever makes it into the
beta release", and I don't see cutting that back by a week helping things
to get done faster -- we just end up with a week less features in 2.8, and
that last week is often (us being humans, and whatnot) the critical push
time for things that are almost there.  Do you have something in mind that
I'm not seeing for the change there?

I did note that the feature target deadline is not a hard deadline, but for
my part I can say that with the schedule only being clarified over what
amounts to 3 months (the remainder of December through release in
mid-March), the middle of January will be a tight squeeze to target things
by then.  Being one that does a good bit of feature development, I expect
to be begging leave to target features after the scheduled date on several
smaller features, as dev time permits in January and February.  I just want
to set that expectation now, so it's not a surprise if it ends up
happening...

Thanks!

--
Mike Rylander