[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] "undo-ing" copy location edits

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Feb 4 22:51:59 EST 2014

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Holly Brennan <haderhold at ci.homer.ak.us>wrote:

>  We just started using a shelving location of ‘Display’ for items that
> have been pulled from their normal locations in order to be… you guessed
> it… on display. (Currently it’s **Fossils**)
>

> Using a copy bucket to change the locations is SO much easier than it was
> with our former ILS. We love that. So, of course, it made me greedy. What
> if it was just as easy to return items to their former locations?
>

> I thought, what if, when we’re done with the display, we could click a
> button to change the location of the items from ‘Display’ back to the 7 or
> so locations where the individual items regularly live. That would be cool.
> No, MAGIC.
>

> If we held onto the copy bucket with all these items, it seems possible
> (to me). The change could be a temporary location change. Something like,
> Please change to this new location, but remember your old one, because
> you’re going back there someday.
>

> Has anyone else dreamed of this? Any developers want to chime in whether
> it’s possible?

Yep, dreamed of it long ago for a slightly different context: putting items
on reserve (which could change their location and call number, too).

One possibility that now leaps to mind is to make use of the auditor tables
that track every change to a given copy and call number (and many other
entities in the database... at least until those auditor tables are
purged). We could whip up a batch action along the lines of "Reset copy
location to previous location" pretty easily, I think.