[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Macros

Michael Peters mpeters at emeralddata.net
Wed Jan 22 19:49:53 EST 2014

Buzzy,

Holly’s suggestion is a great one, and makes for an easy workaround.

For what it’s worth, library website URL isn’t stored anywhere in the
database, but perhaps it could be a good addition to actor.org_unit?
Perhaps actor.org_unit.library_url?  Maybe it would prove useful in other
places beyond the receipt templates.  Without it being stored in the
database, however, a macro could not be added for this.  Schema changes (I
believe) are only allowed in major version releases (eg 2.6, 2.7, etc.) and
not in point releases, so it would be the next version of Evergreen before
such a feature could be accepted into the code base, if developed.

On the subject of library phone number, however, I could be wrong, but I
think there is already a macro for this.  If not, then +1 on adding one as I’d
say that is an oversight since that information is currently stored in the
database and I’d consider it an oversight to not have that macro.

My best recommendation to you would be to open a bug at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen and notate it as a “wishlist” bug.  If
someone gets inspired, or decides to fund development to expidite such a
feature, the request will be out there.   Most developers will check the
wishlist if they’re looking for new features to add before they’d look
towards the general list (at least from my perspective) because Launchpad
allows for easy searching by the “wishlist” tag to see what features people
are clamoring for.

​Michael Peters
Senior Systems Analyst
Emerald Data Networks, Inc.