[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Auto-Renewal Functionality

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Fri Jan 24 16:10:28 EST 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Rogan Hamby <rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net> wrote:
> 2) I would prefer policy based for a number of reasons that revolve around
> lack of consistent policy among member libraries.  While it's tempting to
> say that the ability to turn it on or off would be nice frankly it's adding
> another flip switch on a large control panel full of doo hickeys and some
> staff don't know all the existing ones.  And when I ask myself can I see a
> significant utility in staff having this ability, frankly the answer is no.
> So, would I be upset if the override was available?  No, and we might find
> some currently unforeseen use for it but I doubt it.  I can actually imagine
> it causing as much or more confusion than it helps.

A per-loan auto-renew flag could be accompanied by library settings
and permissions to control its visibility, and it could also not be
exposed to the UI at all.

I brought up the idea because during the discussion on the Koha
mailing list, somebody expressed that such fine-grained control would
be useful to them.  I would agree that it's a good idea to not display
switches unnecessarily on the patron loan list interface unless they
would get used.

Regards,

Galen
--