[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: Auto-Renewal Functionality

Buzzy Nielsen buzzy at hoodriverlibrary.org
Fri Jan 24 16:20:07 EST 2014

As a director, I wouldn't so much worry about the fine revenue; I think treating fines as "revenue" leads to some poor customer service practices. What I would worry about more would be achieving what I see as the main point of fines (and due dates!): getting back your materials. An auto-renew policy paired with a liberal number of renewals, say unlimited, may mean some of your materials would never come back, and staff wouldn't have much of an idea they were gone. I realize that holds in some sense would help prevent that. However, there are some collections (large print, foreign language, DVDs, etc) the traffic of which is driven more by browsing than holds necessarily. The loss rate for those materials may increase.

I'm not saying to not develop the feature; I'm just saying that you'd need to work through your policies to ensure that you have good customer service and ensure that your materials are returned. With the right set of policies, it could be a nice feature.

And hear hear to ensuring that it be controllable at the individual library, or even shelving location, level. We could never get the 70 libraries in our consortium to agree to such a radical change.

Cheers!
Buzzy

Library Director
Hood River County Library District