[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Installation question / comments

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Thu Jul 10 17:04:19 EDT 2014

On 07/10/2014 03:57 PM, Bob Neeper wrote:
[Snipped for brevity.]

> My comments and questions. Bear in mind I'm not a linux expert.
>
> 1) Without Blake's guides I would not gotten past step 2 Installing
> Prerequisites.
>  Step by step commands are very helpful.

I don't know what "Blake's guides" are. I recommend following the steps
in the README inside the source archive exactly. The README instructions
assume that you have extracted the source archive and have cd'd into the
resulting directory in order to read the README.

> 2) Any idea why Ubuntu 12.04 gave so many problems ?

Several possiblities:

1. You installed the desktop edition.
2. Your installation was bad to begin with, i.e. through no fault of
your own some things were not installed properly.
3. Your VM image could have had some issue that you were not aware of.

> 3) Did the 'precise' substitution work ?

No. It would likely not work.

> Will (or should) the install file have 'trusty' added ?

As previously mentioned, basic support for trusty was added today. It
should be available when 2.7.0 is released. It will likely not be
backported to 2.6, meaning 2.6 will not get installation support for trusty.

> 4) Why is a file looking for the apache version when, I think, apache is
> really installed with evergreen ?

Apache is required for OpenSRF.

>     Or did the precise substitution cause this ?

Most likely Apache failed to install for a number of reasons, not
limited to the use of the precise target on a trusty system.

You mentioned having problems installing in general on 12.04.

> 5) Any suggestions?

Keep trying and pop into the #evergreen channel on irc.freenode.net to
ask questions while trying the installation. We're very helpful in there.

Once you do get Evergreen working, you'll find you have learned more
about Linux than you ever thought you needed or wanted to know.

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services
Email: jstephenson at mvlc.org