[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Installation question / comments

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 16:58:40 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Ben Shum <bshum at biblio.org> wrote:
> Hi Bob,

[snip]

> Another key note, you mention the "Desktop" version of Ubuntu being
> installed.  Evergreen is officially only tested by developers and system
> admins with the 64-bit "Server" edition of Ubuntu LTS.  That may factor into
> additional dependency differences or installation issues.

One addition to this: It's also developed, tested, and in production
on Debian Wheezy (and, if you must, Squeeze) for many sites.

<personal aside> I don't trust Ubuntu not to break things from release
to release, and Debian is traditionally much more stable while still
receiving at least as many security-related updates. Think of Debian
as Ubuntu's older, wiser brother that hung up the leather jacket and
prefers the simple life these days. </personal aside>

--miker

--
Mike Rylander