[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Questions About LC Call Numbers and Printing

Donald Butterworth don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu
Thu Jul 31 15:52:04 EDT 2014

All,

Acquisitions has pretty much been on vacation during our migration, but
it's about time to crank up the ordering machine again. This means we will
soon be inundated with books that need spine labels printed.

First a question about default call numbers. A bib record potentially could
contain all 3 call number fields for an LC library.
099 Local Free-Text Call Number
090 Local LC-type Call Number
050 LC Assigned Call Number

It would be extremely rare for a bib record to have all three numbers, but
if they were present, the 099 tag should be the one chosen by the system to
print. When an 090 and an 050 are present the system should choose the 090
to print. When only the 050 is present it should print. Is this protocol
being followed in Evergreen?

Second question. The format of spine labels in our collection for LC call
numbers is, letters on line 1, numbers on line 2, cutter number on line 3,
second cutter on line 4, etc. Example

050 \4 $aBX8495.2.M68$bW5 2012 displays as:

BX
8495.2
.M68
W5
2012

There doesn't seem to be a way to achieve this configuration. It currently
displays as
BX8495.2
.M68
W5
2012

Is there a setting we have missed or is this a bug or an enhancement
request?

Question three. We use a roll feed Thermal Transfer Printer (CUB CB624M) to
print barcodes and spine labels. The perforated label stock has a spine
label on the left and a pocket label on the right. The spine/pocket label
is stuck in each book while it awaits processing. Should the label fall out
of the book, the pocket label has enough information on it so it can be
matched up with the appropriate volume. Pocket labels are also attached to
acid-free slips that are placed in books in our Archives, and they are also
used for microfilm containers. So we use the pocket label a lot.

In the "Library Settings Editor > Cataloging" there are settings for Spine
Label left margin, Spine label line width, and Spine label maximum lines,
but there is no corollary for Pocket labels, so we cannot make those
settings sticky. Is there someplace else where that formatting can be done,
or do we need to make an enhancement request?

Finally, would anybody else like to see a "Print Label" button on the
Holdings Maintenance screen? (Maybe lower left next to the current "Print"
button) One click printing instead of 4 clicks?

Thanks again for your insights and your patience,

Don

--
Don Butterworth
Faculty Associate / Librarian III