[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 2.5.2 Subject Browse Index

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Fri Jun 20 09:45:47 EDT 2014

On 6/20/2014 9:20 AM, Donald Butterworth wrote:
> I agree with Janet, that the whole subject phrase needs to be kept
> together so that only the limited set displays when clicking on the
> phrase. There are lots of DLC authority records that include a main
> subject and subdivisions.

I'm confused now. Are we still talking about the subject browse index or
are we talking about the bib record? If we're talking about the subject
browse index, I would agree, primarily because the user is presumably
seeing a hierarchy of subjects where the broader term may be directly
above the term they are looking at and the narrower term is directly
below. The current behavior is that the link keeps the subject phrase
together when you click on it, so no changes would be required here.

If we're talking about the bib record, I have to say I put a lot of
faith into what I'm sure is highly-funded usability testing done by
Amazon. As Dan mentioned, the current link behavior for subject headings
is similar to what Amazon is using. If the Evergreen community were to
do a coordinated batch of usability testing (probably not a bad idea)
and found that end users were indeed confused by the behavior, I might
think differently, but I personally like the ability to click higher in
the subject heading to broaden my search.

Kathy