[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 2.5.2 Subject Browse Index

Elizabeth Thomsen et at noblenet.org
Fri Jun 20 10:48:06 EDT 2014

And also in this discussion is the way subject headings work in the bib
record display.  When we first came up on Evergreen, our users found this
somewhat confusing, too.  In our former system, if you clicked on a
subject heading in a bib record, you were doing a browse search on that
complete heading.  With a little time, though, people adjusted, and it
made a big difference when we changed our separator from -- to >. People
seemed to immediately see these as breadcrumbs in a hierarchy.

What I really like about the way this works is the flexibility to decide
just how far you want to follow that subject heading.  Sometimes these are
very specific, much more specific than the users interest.

Here's an example:
Editors > Massachusetts > Fitchburg > Biography

We have only one title that matches this specific heading, but the person
who is interested in this book may be interested in Editors >
Massachusetts or perhaps just Editors.

--
Elizabeth Thomsen, Member Services Manager
NOBLE: North of Boston Library Exchange
E-mail: et at noblenet.org