[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 2.5.2 Subject Browse Index

Donald Butterworth don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu
Fri Jun 20 13:00:23 EDT 2014

On 6/20/2014 9:20 AM, Donald Butterworth wrote:

> I agree with Janet, that the whole subject phrase needs to be kept
> together so that only the limited set displays when clicking on the phrase.
> There are lots of DLC authority records that include a main subject and
> subdivisions.

I'm confused now. Are we still talking about the subject browse index or
are we talking about the bib record? If we're talking about the subject
browse index, I would agree, primarily because the user is presumably
seeing a hierarchy of subjects where the broader term may be directly above
the term they are looking at and the narrower term is directly below. The
current behavior is that the link keeps the subject phrase together when
you click on it, so no changes would be required here.

Sorry. Don't mean to be confusing the issue. In this first paragraph I was
commenting only on the Browse index, not the bib record.

In the second paragraph I switched gears to the main Keyword Subject search
results screen. What I was describing is the kind of behavior that Library
of Congress Catalog
<http://catalog2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?DB=local&PAGE=First> has
when you do a Keyword Subject search. I find it very intuitive, but then
again I am a cataloger.

Don

--
Don Butterworth