[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Wish list items from the Cataloging Interest Group meeting Evergreen 2014.

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Wed Mar 26 09:11:49 EDT 2014

I have added several wish list items we discussed during the cataloging
interest group meeting held at this year's Evergreen International
Conference. They are:

Link to Edit MARC in record summary

In the record summary, in addition to links for Add Volumes and View MARC,
add a link to Edit MARC. Access to the link would be controlled by
permissions so that if user did not have permission to edit a MARC record
the link would be "grayed" out and not functional for them. This would
allow catalogers to access Edit MARC functionality more quickly and
improve workflow.

MARC tag/field edit permissions

Within MARC Edit, the ability to set permissions by MARC tag/field so that
a library could assign editing tasks for a specific field to an individual
user. For example, allowing a user to edit only the 300 field in the MARC
record and not be able to edit any other field.

In addition to being controlled by permissions, the ability to allow
specific tag/field edits should also be a library or server setting so
that a library or consortium can allow or disallow the functionality as a
whole.

Ability to display notes in public facing OPAC by specific library

In library consortia, local notes (e.g. 590s) specific to an individual
library's copy/item is not generally allowed. We would like the ability to
make local notes in the MARC bibliographic record display in OPAC searches
scoped to the specific library. We envision this to be similar to the |9
in 856 fields whereby coding within the field creates local notes that
would then display only to the system or branch indicated in the field.
This would also be valuable to other note fields as well. For example,
where different libraries have different use and reproduction rights that
could be indicated in a 540 note scoped for an individual library. These
notes would be repeatable with in the MARC bibliographic record.

For those of you that requested or supported the wish list items, please
take a moment to add to the Launchpad report, whether to clarify your
request or to add that it effects you. If you did not request the report,
please login and do the same, or let us know where there may be problems
with the request we did not foresee in our discussion.

Please also let me know if I missed a discussion item you would like to
add as a wish list or bug fix.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager