[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Wish list items from the Cataloging Interest Group meeting Evergreen 2014.

Sarah Childs sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us
Wed Mar 26 15:48:48 EDT 2014

Interesting.  We don't do local notes like that. Either it's true for
everyone so we would add it to the MARC generally, or we would add it as
a copy note. Sounds like this is a feature that would be useful for you,
but not for us.

---
Sarah Childs
Technical Services Department Head
Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library
250 North Fifth Street
Zionsville, IN 46077
317-873-3149 x13330
sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us

On 2014-03-26 13:26, Elizabeth Thomsen wrote:
> I'd like a way to have both local bib fields and local copy notes.
>
> For example, when searching within the context of a particular
> library,
> you might want to have local notes related to the author's affiliation
> (faculty or alumni author, local author, etc.), contents or subject
> matter
> (Chapter 10 includes several photographs of parks and buildings in X
> town)
> -- things that are specifically important to one library but that
> belong
> at the bib level because they are true of all copies.
>
> Local copy notes would be used for things that are only true of a
> particular copy -- restriction, donor, autographs, etc.
>
> --
> Elizabeth Thomsen, Member Services Manager
> NOBLE: North of Boston Library Exchange
> 26 Cherry Hill Drive
> Danvers Massachusetts 01923
> E-mail: et at noblenet.org
>
> On Wed, March 26, 2014 11:40 am, Sarah Childs wrote:
>> I have just added a somewhat related wishlist bug for improving the
>> Copy Notes function. Curious to know if others would find these
>> improvements would alleviate the need to publicly display local notes
>> in
>> MARC.
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1297909
>>
>> ---
>> Sarah Childs
>> Technical Services Department Head
>> Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library
>> 250 North Fifth Street
>> Zionsville, IN 46077
>> 317-873-3149 x13330
>> sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us
>>
>> On 2014-03-26 09:11, Hardy, Elaine wrote:
>>> I have added several wish list items we discussed during the
>>> cataloging
>>> interest group meeting held at this year's Evergreen International
>>> Conference. They are:
>>>

>>> Link to Edit MARC in record summary
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1297833
>>>

>>> In the record summary, in addition to links for Add Volumes and View
>>> MARC,
>>> add a link to Edit MARC. Access to the link would be controlled by
>>> permissions so that if user did not have permission to edit a MARC
>>> record
>>> the link would be "grayed" out and not functional for them. This
>>> would
>>> allow catalogers to access Edit MARC functionality more quickly and
>>> improve workflow.
>>>

>>> MARC tag/field edit permissions
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1297836
>>>

>>> Within MARC Edit, the ability to set permissions by MARC tag/field
>>> so
>>> that
>>> a library could assign editing tasks for a specific field to an
>>> individual
>>> user. For example, allowing a user to edit only the 300 field in the