[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] browser client update 2014-05-01 / feedback requested on catalog integration

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Thu May 1 15:49:37 EDT 2014

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the update.

I know others feel differently, but I don’t think we should rule out using iframes for catalog integration.  Iframes are actually pretty close in many respects to the way the catalog “integrates” into the current (XUL) staff client.  The usual problems with iframes are bookmarking (not really a concern the way we would use it), SEO (not a concern here at all), and cross-site scripting issues (we should have the same origin, which solves the biggest headaches).  If we want to keep things close to the current design, especially for phase one, iframes could be our shortest path there.

That said, I believe we could rework some bits of the TPAC (and it might not take much at all) to essentially use the same templates to dynamically fetch a frameless TPAC “core” for displaying inline in the staff client.

I do also like the idea of having (more or less) a grid-based OPAC (call it the gridPAC, of course) for use within staff client interfaces.

Dan

Daniel Wells
Library Programmer/Analyst
Hekman Library, Calvin College