[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Proposed change in Vendor Listing Policy

Sharp, Chris csharp at georgialibraries.org
Mon Sep 8 09:41:33 EDT 2014

(I just posted this separately to the EG Oversight Board list and Rogan asked me to share my comments here.)

Hi all,

I wasn't officially on the Board when this subject was discussed, so I didn't feel that it would be appropriate for me to speak up during the last meeting.  However, I do have a couple of questions/concerns about this proposed policy:

Is there a particular situation that makes this proposed requirement something people feel is necessary?  Why doesn't the description on the wiki page suffice, assuming that an interested party would contact the vendor for more information, allowing the vendor themselves to determine how their potential customers would be able to receive that information?  I'm working from a position that we probably don't want to get into the business of micromanaging vendor websites.

I'm also working under the assumption that the vendor listing page is intended to be a handy finding aid for people seeking paid support or development from companies/entities that provide such support.  Isn't the onus of reviewing such companies on potential customers seeking support/development work?  I realize not all libraries/potential Evergreen-using entities have good RFP-style processes in place, so I would go more towards the direction of educating people about *that* rather than policing the entities that add entries to the wiki page.  Are my assumptions off base?  Maybe there's more information about this situation than I'm aware of?

Thanks for listening!

Chris