[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Proposed change in Vendor Listing Policy

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Mon Sep 8 09:52:10 EDT 2014

I'm only speaking for myself here but I don't think it's necessary but nor
is the listing itself.  It's a nice thing to do as a community to help
people find resources in a way that's hopefully a bit more curated than
just heading to Google (or Duck Duck Go or whatever).  To me if we're going
to curate there is a point of balance to find between burdensome and
providing the value of that curation.

Since the users are going through the listings on an Evergreen vendors
listing to find their Evergreen services it makes sense to me to link
through to those services directly.  You're correct that users could write
separate emails and go browsing through each site for content but that's a
lot more cumbersome than clicking through and the purpose of the curated
list is convenience to me.  If not, why are we doing it?

One point you brought up I'm not clear on.  You ask, " Isn't the onus of
reviewing such companies on potential customers seeking support/development
work?"  There is nothing in this proposal about reviewing the content on
the vendor's sites.  The accuracy or veracity of their claims of what they
can support is not covered here.  There was a similar topic brought up
because of a vendor and a letter written to the board that we still need to
discuss and decide how we would handle it as a community but for now that
issue was lessened in urgency by the vendor themselves taking their site
offline.  If I misunderstood what you're asking let me know.

I don't see this is as an issue that is particularly intersectional to the
RFP process.  I think a vendor listing page may be used for a lot of
reasons and one of them maybe to find folks they invite to an RFP but there
are a lot of scenarios that are much less, well, intensive also.  And being
friendly to that range of uses is important I think.

--

― C.S. Lewis <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1069006.C_S_Lewis>